Beef Bourguignon (Slow Cooker Recipe)
Beef bourguignon tastes fantastic when it’s made in a slow cooker, because of all the extra time allowed for the dish to sit in its own juices allowing the flavour to deepen and beef to tenderise. This French beef stew combines beef cubes, mushrooms, shallots or onions, carrots, red wine, fresh herbs and a beef bourguignon sachet mix for a delicious result. Simply put all the ingredients in a slow cooker for a few hours and voila!
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 6 hours
- 675g/1½lb lean chuck steak or boneless shin, cut into 5cm/2inch cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped or crushed
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped or 100g/4oz Chantenay carrots, tops removed
- 100g/4oz button mushrooms, halved
- 1 x 40g sachet beef bourguignon seasoning mix
- 450ml/½pint good, hot beef stock or red wine
- Dash Worcestershire sauce or mushroom ketchup
- Freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley, to garnish
- Put all the ingredients except the seasoning mix in a large slow cooker.
- Mix the sachet contents with the stock or wine and pour over the beef and vegetables.
- Cook on HIGH for 4-6 hours or LOW for 8-10 hours or according to your manufacturers’ handbook.
- Remove the lid, stir and serve with new or mashed potatoes and seasonal vegetables.